Sunday, May 22, 2011

How Long “Till” We Can Plant???

This rainy wet spring is starting to wear very thin! I was beginning to lose hope of ever getting our garden in. But then last week God blessed us with some gorgeous sunny weather! So my dad finally set my tilling appointment for this afternoon; just in time for the rain to start up again…

This year I decided something had to be done about the clay problem in our garden. The solution (I hope), SAND! And it just so happened that we had a whole big pile of sand in our yard thanks to the flooding we had a few years back. We sandbagged the church (which was thankfully unnecessary) and guess who got to bring them home??? :o) While I wasn’t excited about it at the time, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise and not just the giant litter box for neighborhood cats that I expected.

So with the garden covered with a nice layer of sand, my dad set to work on getting it all tilled in…

tilling 01And that baby can till!!! But I didn’t know how really impressive it was until he started in on our new garden plot…

tilling 02  Last summer was the final year of our swimming pool. With three teenage sons, crazy busy summers and the cost and work of upkeep, we decided it was time to let it go. But it did leave us with a big round dirt spot covered in sand! And why plant grass there when it is the ideal spot and soil for a garden???

After I spread on the last of the chicken poop compost, he set to work tilling it up! It was amazing!!! And now I have this plot of rich, dark, newly tilled soil that is just screaming for me to plant something in it SOON!

tilling 03The forecast is calling for a bit of a break from the rain on Tuesday. So I suppose I know what I’ll be doing that day…

tilling 04The other one will just have to wait and dry out a bit first… But don’t worry, you’re next! 

No comments: