Wednesday, June 23, 2010

No Labels No More

Last year, being my first attempt at canning, I made an arrogant and foolish error. After spending countless hours pouring through canning books and finding the perfect recipes to make from the bountiful harvest from our first garden, I didn’t think there was any way I would forget all the lovely treats I had made…

house shuffle 14

But as the months (ok, more like days) went by, I realized that I couldn’t remember exactly what was in every jar. Oh, some were obvious like the mint jelly or grape juice. Suddenly the mango chutney and the apricot chutney looked exactly alike, as did the blackberry syrup and the blueberry syrup. Which salsa was good and spicy and which tasted like chunky ketchup? I made several different kinds of pickles, some we loved and some we didn’t. Now I realized I had NO IDEA which recipe I had used or which of the dozens of books I had gotten it from! AHHH!

Being the crafty girl that I am, I didn’t panic (well, not too much) but went to my clip art files and MS Word, bought some sticky labels and designed my own canning labels. No more guessing or wondering, just cute, stylish and well-documented jars this year! :o)

canning labels 02canning labels 03the momma chicken labels are my favorite

canning labels 01  

my first canning of the year

2 comments:

Betsy Jo said...

Love all the encouragement in homekeeping you give Carrie!! :)

inadvertent farmer said...

Great job...I did that to my seedlings this year and now have all my tomatoes mixed up. Not to mention my squash is completely unlabeled! Kim