Thursday, August 25, 2011

Harvest Time!

I love this time of the year in my garden! I love going out and finding new things to pick almost every day! I love having fresh beans or grilled zucchini for supper! I love making and canning our year’s supply of our favorite salsa!

This year’s harvest is quite late… But what did I expect when it wasn’t warm enough to plant until the beginning of July! I’m just hoping the warm weather sticks around long enough that I get a crop of everything I planted. Well, I’ve already given up hope completely on the corn and jalapenos. : o(

On the bright side, I’m home when the crops are ready! In the past I come home from one of our annual summer vacation weeks only to discover that whatever-it-is was ready 5 days ago and is now well past its prime… Always disappointing!

Here are just a few of the things I have picked so far this year…

This was our first harvest of the year from the garden! I now have in second crops of beets, carrots and radishes.

first harvest 01first harvest 02first harvest 03first harvest 04

first harvest 05

As you can see below… the above picture was just the tip of the iceberg of the peas.

plate baskets 07

Four days later we picked two even bigger bowls of peas than these! And we’ll have more in a couple of days from now!

veggies 01

Now the beans, tomatoes, cukes and zucchini have begun…

Yup! I love harvest time! All that hard work really pays off!

No comments: