Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Greenhouse Effect

I admit it… I think I like summer vacation even more than the boys! I love it! I love not having to do lesson plans, grade papers or help with math problems that I don’t even understand! I am not one of those moms who can school year round with just a couple of weeks off here and there. I need a break, a REAL long chunk of time off!

Today is the last day of school! But this year it is an even more momentous occasion. This is the very last day I will exclusively homeschool my two oldest sons! In September they will begin attending our local community college full time to complete their high school education while also earning the associate’s degree.

For the first time in a VERY long time, I will not be teaching all three of my boys. I feel like I should be more wistful about the whole thing… but I’m not. I’m actually looking forward to it! After all, this is what I worked so hard all those years for.

When I first started homeschooling a friend told me that homeschooling is like a greenhouse. Starting seeds in a greenhouse gives your little plants a good head start. Growing up in the greenhouse protects them and makes them strong for when they go out to live in the big wide world.

starts 08So this is it, time for my guys to go out, put down roots, and grow to their full potential of what God has for them!

“And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” Ephesians 3:17b-18

I am so proud of the men that they are becoming and the men that they will be! And I am grateful for the opportunity that God gave me to be a part of their time in the “greenhouse”.

No comments: