Monday, February 1, 2010

A Trip To Powell’s City of Books

I LOVE going to Powell’s! It’s worse than a candy store (and way more expensive)! But like all our trips there, I came home with two books that I really like and a list of a few more that I really want…

The Busy Person’s Guide to Preserving Food by Janet Chadwick

preserving food

The title alone was enough to intrigue me, but when I saw the practical and easy recipes and read the first paragraph of the introduction, I grabbed it up! “You have three children under five, the baby cried all night, and your mother-in-law is coming for supper. What are you going to do with that bushel of green beans?… Or, it’s Thursday, and you just arrived home after a hard day at the office. You know that if you wait until Saturday to make dill pickles, the cucumbers will be too large; but if you pick them now, they will be punky by Saturday… but you don’t feel like pickling until midnight. What are you going to do? Well, take a deep breath and relax. This book is for you.”

And it didn’t hurt that it was on sale for about half price… :o)

Chickens in your Backyard by Rick & Gail Luttmann

This book came recommended on a website and I checked out a copy from the library and liked it. Thankfully, Powell’s has used books as well and had a copy! I can’t wait to make a nice cup of tea and sit down and read this one!

chickens in your backyard

No comments: