Well, the chicks have officially moved out of the house and into a place of their own!
Thanks to Walt and Randy, who came yesterday to finish the coop so it would be ready for the chicks to move into and to God for providing the gorgeous weather! (70 degrees today!) There are still a few finishing touches that need to be done, but we still have time…
Zack and I made a new feeder and waterer out of some buckets and planter bases. I found the idea at Backyard Chickens .com and they work great! No more filling the food and water 3 times a day or finding them tipped over and spilled everywhere!
place bucket into a 20” planter base and pour in feed
place lid on top and it’s done
for the waterer: drill a 1/2” hole about 2” from top of bucket. Fill with water. Place lid on tight so that it will seal. Invert bucket into a 20” planter base.
After everything was all set up and ready, we moved them in. Considering the fact that they were definitely moving up in the housing department, they seemed intent on getting out as quickly as they could! :o) But after barricading the exit and forcing them to stay inside, they seemed to like it more. They especially liked it when they discovered that the big orange thing contained food!!!
Next… the pen! No free-range chickens here… I like my garden un-pecked please!