Thursday, September 23, 2010

Canning Applesauce

Today I canned applesauce. After my failure last year (it all got moldy even though the jars were sealed), I was a bit reluctant to try again. But I mustered up the courage, fired up the crock pot, drug out the food mill and got to work…

applesauce 01 First I started with a box of gorgeous apples from the local produce stand.

applesauce 03Then I wash them.

applesauce 02Fill the crock pot with some cold water  and lemon juice to prevent browning.

applesauce 04First I quarter each apple.

applesauce 05  Cut off the cores.

applesauce 06Throw them into the lemon water.

When the crock is full, I drain off the lemon water, put it in the warmer and turn it to high.

Cook until apples are fork tender.

applesauce 07If they cook for too long they will get really dark.

applesauce 08

Put some into the food mill and turn the handle until nothing is left but the peels.

applesauce 09This part is kinda yucky looking!

Keep adding apples until they have all gone through the food mill. Empty out the mill.

Now you have a big bowl of applesauce.

applesauce 10At this point you can either put it into freezer containers to freeze or put it in a stock pot for canning.

applesauce 11Bring the applesauce to 212 degrees. Use a lid because this stuff erupts like Vesuvius!

applesauce 12Fill hot jars to 1/2” headspace. Put on two piece lids. Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before removing from canner.

applesauce 13

No comments: