Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lotion Bars

I got bees wax pellets for my birthday and I finally got a chance to play around with them a bit! Fun! First project… lotion bars.

lotion bars 02 Lotion bars are not complicated. The basic recipe calls for 3 things in equal parts. There are tons of possible combinations!

lotion bars 01 No, there isn’t gum in the lotion! LOL I accidently put the wrong tin in the picture…

1 part solid oil (coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter)

1 part oil (olive oil, avocado oil, apricot oil, almond oil)

1 part beeswax (pellets or grated)

Melt the oils and beeswax in a double boiler. When all the beeswax is completely melted, remove from heat. Add  drops of an essential oil of your choice. Stir well. Pour into a small mold. Let cool. Pop out of mold. Store in a airtight container or bag.

lotion bars 02 That’s the right tin!

Rub lotion bar in hand. Then rub hands together to distribute the lotion evenly. Your hands will feel a bit oily at first but then it absorbs, leaving your hands nice and soft!

*When I made my batch tonight I used 2 teaspoons of each ingredient ( coconut oil & olive oil) and about 10 drops of essential oil. I used a silicon mini-muffin pan for my mold and it made 3 small bars. I then store them in an Altoids mini tin. Small bars are easier to use and I don’t like to make too many at once. But you can make your batches as large or as small as you like.

4 comments:

Ausmerican Housewife - Creating with Kara Davies said...

My mom uses similar lotion bars and they REEK! They absolutely reek and she doesn't get it.

The worst part is when we're all in the car and she opens up her tin and uses one. The entire clan protests until she shuts the tin and stops using it. We think her sense of smell is off kilter. It's a very pungent mango smell and she thinks its a light one.

They've turned me off lotion bars ever since. :p

Anonymous said...

I love lotion bars..looking forward to trying this =)

Anonymous said...

Will these lion bars melt in your backpack during the summer? I know coconut oil liquifies in room temperature. Really love to try it

Leingang Family said...

I'm afraid I'm not sure??? They didn't melt in my purse. Good luck!