Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Save A Tree & A Shirt

A few weeks ago, I decided to go with cloth napkins. I do laundry every day. All I would need to do is throw any dirty napkins in with the laundry. So, I went out to inquire about purchasing a starter set of "fancy napkins".

Cloth napkins are expensive! All they are is a big piece of cloth with a simple hem around the edge.


Then my friend Megan told me that she and her kids had taken pieces of scrap fabric, hemmed the edges and made their own napkins. I was inspired! Thanks Megan!


I had scrap fabric that was perfect for napkins. And it doesn't take much. We don't need our napkins folded into swans or flowers to grace each perfectly set table setting. We just need something to wipe BBQ sauce on other than something we are currently wearing. :o)


I sewed them up, folded them into squares and placed them in my handy napkin holder from IKEA.


They look pretty good, don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Carrie, I think you have surpassed me! If you ever want to make olive oil soap, I have everything to make it.
Kate

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog today! I love it! Carrie, you are so creative and I am really looking forward to living a little more green too! We switched to cloth diapers a few weeks ago in order to save $30 a month ($70 when the baby comes). And I got a recipe (but haven't yet tried it) for homemade laundry soap!!! I have it for both liquid or powder...if you want them just let me know. Several ladies from our church use it and say it works better than Tide and it's unbelievably cheap! I am so glad I'm not the only one wanting to live like the old days...simple and cheap!!! God bless! -emily d.