Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Canning and Cleaning

We went back to our friends' place Sunday after church and spent 2 1/2 hours picking TONS of berries, tomatoes, apples and cucumbers! We brought every mixing bowl we own and we ran out of room. Thankfully I had my 5 shopping bags so we could fill them, too!




When you have that much, you have to do something with it fast. So, I called my mommy to come and help. I knew I should do some canning and it was about time I learned.



Will even helped with making pickles



Thankfully, God gave us a nice cool day. We spent ALL day cutting, canning, freezing, washing dishes and making meals. When I finally finished 12 hours later, I was ready to crash. So I stayed up until midnight playing games on Facebook.


But we made all kinds of yummy treats including applesauce, diced tomatoes, blackberry jam, strawberry jam, blueberry syrup, frozen berries, and pickles. I even had enough left to make a lovely cucumber salad and fresh tomato sauce for pasta for supper. But my favorites of the day were the blackberry jam, the applesauce with brown sugar and cinnamon and the blueberry syrup (see the recipe on our family blog). The blueberry syrup was heavenly! It took over an hour to make but was totally worth it!

1 comment:

Just us Junts said...

Mommies sure are wonderful for saving the day!!!
Everything looks yummy.