Thursday, September 10, 2009

Microwave Magic

I hardly ever use my microwave. It is the one appliance in my kitchen that I would easily give up, even before my under-the-counter cd player/radio. But today I learned that you can dry herbs in that thing.

I cut all my chives this morning (and there were LOTS) and wasn’t sure what to do with them.

garden round 2 02

Freezing them all seemed like too much work. The dehydrator was going to take 24 hours. Then I saw in my gardening book ( I LOVE this book!) that you can dry them in the microwave in small quanities in just 3 minutes!

garden round 2 03first chop them up

garden round 2 04 

Layer a single layer of herbs between 2 paper towels in microwave

garden round 2 05

cook on high for 2-3 minutes

garden round 2 06

store in a jar in a cool dry place for up to 1 year

I did it and they turned out great! I can’t wait to cook something with ‘em! Next I’m going to try some mint…

No comments: