Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cleaning Your Glass-top

I have a glass-top stove and I love it! I wanted it because I was sure it would be so much easier to clean up all of my cooking mishaps. Then I read the instruction manual, including the LIST of all the things you shouldn’t do on your stove top! Anything that would actually work was forbidden.

Then my friend Kate came to my rescue! Her stove looked great! What was her secret??? SHHHHH! Don’t tell the manufacturer! They’ll probably come and take away my stove if they knew…

It’s these cute little springy stainless steel pads (or should I say wads).

steel pads 02 All I do is spray on my grease-cutting cleanser, let it sit for a bit, scrub it with the “wad”, wipe it with a clean cloth and it is sparkly clean!

Now I’ve only done this for a couple of months but Kate has done it for years and her stove looks none the worse for wear. And she uses her stove A LOT!

I pick them up at our dollar store whenever I see them because you never know when they’ll stop carrying them…

steel pads 01 Go get some of your own and be the envy of all your play-it-safe-with-your-glass-top-stove friends! :o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also thought that a glass top stope would be easier to keep clean! Wrong!! lol. Do these take off the cooked on spots? can't seen to get those off with any amount of cleaner or elbowgrease!

Anonymous said...

We are about to get a glass-top induction cooktop ourselves, so I'm going to take your advice to heart!

Have you tried plain old sodium bicarbonate (I think in America you call it baking soda)? I find that it cleans all sorts of things in giffy that nothing else will - soap scum, stained laminate, burnt saucepans.

Anonymous said...

Can't let Kate get all the credit since ours is much older than hers. We bought our glass top stove a few months before Kate's wedding ('92) and it looks remarkably good for 19 years. It came with a razor scraper like you would use to clean off paint from window panes so I figure the glass top is pretty durable. Sometimes I use baking soda, Comet, but generally use the plastic "Tuffy" type scrubber with a squirt of Dawn foam, then wipe off with a damp dish towel. I give it a quick wipe each time before cooking because sometimes I have spilled on it between cooking. The commercial glass top cleaner is way too oily and leaves a smeared surface.