Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cooking To The Classics

I have fallen in love with listening to books on cd’s (or Playaways from the library) while I cook or do other chores! I especially enjoy the classics… You know those really thick books that don’t have any pictures and were written by people long since dead! I love ‘em!

I love baking bread while listening to the tragic life of Jane Eyre or digging weeds in the garden while listening to the adventures of Long John Silver! These stories take me to places and times that I would love to see and live, and immerse me into lives that I sometimes feel could almost be real.

Here are some of my favorites I’ve read while canning, cooking, kneading, sewing, folding, weeding or lying in bed the past couple of years…

Little Women: I could read this one over and over! I went into labor with my middle son while watching the movie at the theatre! So it’s a bit sentimental for me.

The Good Earth: A fascinating look into pre-revolutionary China.

Swiss Family Robinson: This book made me wish that my husband and I had been shipwrecked on an island with our three boys!

Wuthering Heights: I just wanted to read this one to find out what kind of man is named Heathcliff… Now I know.

O Pioneers: I like stories about pioneers.

Treasure Island: Way better than Pirates of the Caribbean!

Jane Eyre: One of my favorite books ever! I was intrigued when I discovered that the last line of this book is “Maranatha”.  I was not disappointed!

Ben Hur: An amazing story of ancient Rome! Exciting, romantic adventure! WAY better than the movie!!!

Mrs Mike: Before I read this book I watched “Pioneer House” and was sure I would be a fantastic pioneer wife. After I read this book, I was convinced I could NEVER be a pioneer wife! It totally changed the way I viewed those amazing women who left everything to follow their husbands into the great unknown!

Return of the Native: Still not finished but I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Grab a good book, a cup of tea or a mp3 and a pair of earphones and get away in a great classic novel! You won’t regret it!

If you want to check out my Pinterest board of books I love, click HERE.

1 comment:

twebsterarmstrong said...

I am currently enjoying Robinson Crusoe. This, after a tour through the ships at San Diego's Maritime Museum.