Tuesday, September 20, 2011

POTATOES!

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E-S, Boil em, Mash em, stick em in a stew." Samwise Gamgee

This year we planted potatoes for the very first time. And they grew great! In fact the plants grew so tall and bushy that I was quite certain that they must have put all their energy into growing up instead of growing potatoes. They grew so large they crowded out everything else that I had planted around them. My suspicions were even verified by other gardeners. But I let them go, figuring I’d wait till they started to die off and see what pathetic little taters I would find…

growing 07

This wasn’t even taken when they were at their peak

In the last week or so they finally started to turn yellow and fall over. I translated this into it was nearing time to pull them up and see what we got. Imagine my surprise (and delight) when I yanked up the first one and found these two behemoths hanging off the bottom!

plain potatoes 02

Ok, so I was wrong! Andy and I got right into pulling and digging up the rest of the plants. The soil was obviously just right for growing potatoes! I’m thinking we probably should have harvested them sooner.

plain potatoes 03

plain potatoes 04

Now we just have to figure out how to store them all for the winter…

plain potatoes 07

plain potatoes 05

No comments: