Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Backyard Beekeeper

I don’t like getting stung but I do like honey! When friends at church started keeping bees last spring, I was intrigued. After several months of inviting me to come, I finally broke down and attended our first local bee club meeting last month. I figured I would sit and learn for a year or so, and then get my first hive. Now I don’t have to be the one at the meetings who says, “Hello, my name is Carrie. I don’t actually have a hive. I’m just here to learn.” Now I can say, “My name is Carrie and I have a hive that I have NO IDEA what to do with!”

How did I get a hive? Well, let’s just say my friends are very enthusiastic and generous. This weekend was bee weekend. The two days when everyone’s bee orders come in and hives get established. It was a now or never thing and they decided I should do it now! They are gifting me a hive complete with a queen and approximately 3.500 bees!!!

I have a few things to get before they arrive on the week of May 1st and LOTS of learning to do! I am going to start with buying these two books:

bee book 01 bee book 02

On my list is also a white sweatshirt and pants, a veil, gloves, a fine-spray bottle, Honey B Healthy, sugar (got that one covered) and powdered sugar (for mites). Oh, and duct tape! ;o)

I also did some research on how to avoid being stung… When I was a kid I was stung about 30 times from age 6 to age 13. A doctor recommended brewer’s yeast. I ate it on everything for a while and didn’t get stung again until last summer. Also recommended is zinc and garlic. I will probably be taking a trip to the nutrition store soon!

We will also be stocking up on meat tenderizer, baking soda, lemon uice, potatoes, and hydrogen peroxide… stings still happen!

I have successfully raised 3 sons (so far), chickens, dogs, cats,and a few fish, so I should be able to handle a few thousand bees. Right???

No comments: