Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lard Crock Pot Soap

I have come to the realization that I just don’t bake with lard. I bake with butter. I came to this epiphany when I realized I had only used 2 of my beautiful jars of rendered lard.
lard 11 But imagine my great joy when my friend and fellow soap-junkie, April, told me she had a recipe for crock pot soap with lard! Not only did I now have a use for all that free lard but it uses less olive oil to boot! Bonus!!!
We made a couple of batches today and I love the way it turned out! It takes quite a bit longer to cook (the lye to neutralize) but it was well worth the wait.
I made one with red clay: add about 1/4 cup of red clay to a small amount of the soap after it has come to trace. Place back into the crock pot and mix well into the rest of the soap. Continue cooking until soap is done. Stir in about 2 Tablespoons more red clay before putting into the molds. The clay seems to effect how quickly the soap gets done, but don’t worry. It’s still fine!
lard soap 01I love the pink color
The second batch I made with oatmeal. My preferred way to make oatmeal soap is with baby cereal oatmeal. It makes a much smoother finished product with no goopy oatmeal residue in the bottom of the tub or shower. Just stir in a desired amount just before putting the soap into the mold.
lard soap 02 
Here’s the recipe: (this batch is rather large and needs to be made in at least a 6 quart crock pot)
22.5 oz lard
10 oz coconut oil
10 oz olive oil
6 oz lye
16 oz water
Just follow the directions on my Crock Pot Soap Step by Step post HERE.

*You should be aware that this recipe tends to "boil over" easily! REALLY easily! So keep a really close eye on it at all times. You may want to cook it on low heat with the lid off and stir often!

No comments: