Monday, June 18, 2012

A Berry Big Slug Problem

I planted strawberries a couple of years ago but have yet to actually enjoy any of the fruit of my labor… The first year my chickens got them. The next year it was the birds.

strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife I thought I had discovered the solution for the feathered fiend problem. Rocks. Paint rocks to look like strawberries.

strawberries 01 Hide them in the plants before the berries get ripe.

strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife

they were good enough to fool my friends

The birds peck the rocks, think my strawberries are horrible and leave the real ones alone.

Unfortunately, slugs aren’t that smart…

They were ruining all my berries the instant they got ripe. Ugh! I needed cheap beer NOW!

strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife Bury containers in the garden so they are level with the ground. Fill with the cheapest beer you can buy. These guys showed up after only about 10 minutes in the middle of the day…

strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife After two days the beer Jacuzzis were full of drunken drowned slugs! HA! (in an evil maniacal tone)

My strawberries are now safe! I even had enough to fill a small bowl today! Hooray!!!

strawberries - The Backyard Farmwife  I knew only slimeballs drink cheap beer… LOL

No comments: