Well, it was probably more than just a makeover… I really debated on how honest I wanted to be about this job because it is a bit embarrassing. But the more I thought about it, the more I figured I probably wasn’t alone. On the other hand, I’m not posting the really honest pictures. ;o)
Our poor old washer has been a champ! 4 states, 5 moves and more loads of laundry than I can even imagine… But the past couple of years, it’s been leaving what seems to be bits of dark colored or light colored lint on our clothes. Not the kind you can just take off with a lint brush or run through the dryer. Then the laundry started coming out of the wash smelling HORRIBLE!
I was beginning to think that it was my homemade laundry detergent that I’ve been using for about 5 years now. I couldn’t imagine how that was possible, but I was running out of ideas. So I broke down and bought my first bottle of laundry detergent since May 2008. It didn’t help…
Then we started asking for advice. Two days after we asked some friends about it, they read an article in their local newspaper about our very problem. The culprit??? Cold water and gunk built up in your washer. The solution??? A thorough cleaning. And I mean THOROUGH!
My first shock was when we pulled the washer out to the patio! We’ve never lived anywhere more than 2 years, so I don’t think about pulling out appliances to clean behind. Yeah, I probably should do that more often than every 8 years.
This was taken after I did some cleaning. It looks pretty good! I will NOT be posting pictures of behind the dryer!!! Let’s just say this floor looked clean enough to eat off of in comparison. I know mold is just part of living in the PNW, but really??? Ugh!!!
After we started taking pieces apart, we discovered that this was most definitely our problem. Yuck!
But while it was apart, it seemed the ideal time to fulfill my dream of having a red washer and dryer! So I picked up a couple of cans of royal red spray paint and went to town.
While everything was pulled away from the wall, I figured it was as good a time as any to paint that wall and put up the new trim. It was next in line anyway… With all I have going on right now, I must have been crazy. But it’s done now.
With the washer painted, the walls painted, the trim up and the new outlets installed, it was time to put the washer back together and see if she worked. My genius hubby got it all back together (it wasn’t easy) and turned on the water to see what she’d do. He forgot to hook up the drain. Luckily he didn’t wait too long to get it off. But the stack of beach towels gave us our first load. ;o)
Pretty much right away, we knew something wasn’t right. I think it was the very loud thumping noise and the fact that it stopped REALLY fast from the spin cycle! We began to fear we might have to call in a professional. But my hubby came through, discovered the problem and got it fixed as good as new!
There is still a lot of work to be done in the laundry room but that will just have to wait. For now I just have to catch up on the mountains of dirty clothes! :o)